Sunday, June 3, 2012

Nobody can do everything but everybody can do something.



What do you do when you see a piece of paper lying on the ground? What do you do when you see captions like SAVE EARTH and KEEP BHUTAN GREEN? Some of you must have responded to it or at least thought over it. As of me, when I realize it now, I never picked even one of those papers. I just read those captions as if it was kept there to improve my reading. There are many things I never thought one can do. Actually if we think we don’t need time to do something. We just need to have a HEART, a heart full of grace and a soul generated by love.
A sight of my classmate with a plastic always tucked from his waist opened my eyes. Tshewang Gyeltshen, a final year student and a CG councilor always carries a plastic wherever he goes in which he collects wastes.  We can’t even carry our books sometimes. We want to look top-notched, carrying only few books but Tshewang don’t seem to care about his looks. He looks more like a clown sometimes. Sometimes he smells too bad because of the wastes. People insult him overtly or covertly. Some of us call him a walking dustbin because he is like a dustbin walking towards papers to pick them. He is also known as a psycho because of his unique behavior and some says he is acting sincere and want to be different but did we ever think how difficult it is to be different and make a difference? We rarely admire those who are admirable, that’s the problem. It’s easy to earn bucks, not to make a difference.
We know lots of theories but lack skills to apply it. We say a lot and do nothing. There are many people in our government who talks of GNH and drive Prado themselves. Easy to tell but difficult to do, this phrase comes here. When I say like this, it does not mean that I do what I say. It is really difficult for someone like us who is used to being like this.
What I sincerely think at this point of time is: Why throw papers outside when we have lots of dustbins? Why don’t we think that nobody wants what we don’t want and directly put our wastes in bin? Why do we criticize someone doing something good when we can’t even do that? Why? We all have the answers to those questions. The only thing is we don’t want to answer it. We know the problem, have the solution but don’t want to solve it. It’s time for us to come and live in reality, not fantasy. Otherwise, it will be too late for us that we will not be able to live on this earth even in fantasy.
If it’s not our responsibility to pick those papers, than who gave us the authority to throw them? We need to really think about this. Even if we can’t be a walking dustbin like Tshewang, let us not stare at him as if he’s an alien, let’s not talk about him when he passes by, let us just accept him the way he is with a grateful heart because even if he looks odd, there’s a good intention behind what he is doing.
I have been watch dog for a long time. Now I am fed of up of just watching, instead I want to join those who have a HEART, a sense of responsibility. So, friends are you joining us? Even if we can’t make a vast difference, we can still make a little difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Habit of being Proactive

I've finished reading the first habit of effectiveness, "Be Proactive," and I want to share what I've learned. Being proac...